Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Vinda-looney


Last night when conjuring up an idea of how to blow $50 on ingredients for one meal at Whole Foods (Soon to be released in paperback) I had no real direction in mind. All I knew was that whatever I made had to incorporate the eggplant that was residing in our fridge at the moment. So, I searched through my cookbooks, and just kept coming up with eggplant Parmesan. Boring! Anyway, we happened to be watching Bizarre Foods at the time and we overheard Andrew Zimmer drop a wicked fresh quote: "Uhh, I need to wash that down with some Vindaloo!" So off I went to Whole Foods with Vindaloo on the brain. The only thing is Vindaloo is usually pretty spicy, which will not fly for Steph and her gutty-wots. The task was simple, in theory, how do I make Vindaloo and make it mild? Hmmm, well we did have about 3 cartons of heavy whipping cream in our fridge and as any spicy fan knows it's dairy that takes the edge off the burn (MR. T says: "don't drink that water FOOL!"). So I made the bastard love child between a curry and a vindaloo. Did I successfully complete my challenge?


Me: "Is it too spicy?"


Steph: "Not in my mouth, but my throat is burning! I get milk!"


Failed. But I did manage to sneak the eggplant in, much to the chagrin of any seasoned Indian chef.


The moral of this tale is that I should never plan a menu while watching either Andrew Zimmer or Anthony Bourdain because I start to salivate watching them eat all that delicious street food in crazy countries I want to visit.




(The Vindaloo pictured above is not mine, but it looks tasty enough to post)


The Spice must flow....................Just not from our arses.

No comments: