Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Bánh mì is keepin' it straight gangster


Normally I don't eat lunch when I'm at my job. Sometimes I might make a peanut butter sammich, and I don't even really like peanut butter. I do this because I'm cheap, and because I don't want fat globules to congeal in my gut while I do nothing for four more hours but sit and clickity clack on the keyboard. Hey, I'm almost 34 and I hate working out so something has got to give. Today was different. I said to myself, "fuck you peanut butter. I'm having a Vietnamese sammich." And I totally did. The Vietnamese make what turns out to be pretty much my favorite sandwich, EVER! The sandwiches consist of some super high quality french bread. Um French Bread? Vietnam? Yeah. the French owned that shit for quite a while. Study up on your history peeps. I once heard that when the British would leave a former colony they would leave behind infrastructure. But, when the French would leave a colony they'd leave their cooking. Thus we have baguettes in Vietnam. Damn good ones too. The sandwich also typically has pickled carrots, which give it color and a kick ass bite. Also there is Pate, and normally I hate pate, but in this case it's not bad. There are several meat options, usually pork or chicken but I opted for the Vietnamese Ham. OMG! The picture above doesn't even do it justice. This was the most electric pink and red meat I have ever seen. Epic! The Vietnamese peeps seem to like Mayo, because every one of these I've ever had always has plenty of it. So far your saying to yourself "What the fuck does this have to do with spicy foods?" Thanks for being patient. The girl behind the counter asked me if I wanted it spicy. I said "You bet I do!" She handed me a sammich loaded with little volatile green disks of fresh Jalapeno. The Vietnamese Sandwich is great because it's kind of like the ragtop of sandwiches. You can be all mid-life crisis like and if you feel the need to be a little flashy, put on a thumb ring and go riding around with the top down then you can certainly go all the way with the jalapenos. Or you can be a little bit more conservative, and keep the top up and leave the Jalapenos out all together. Either way it doesn't change the overall sandwich experience. It really is a food both the spicy and non spicy among us can easily enjoy. Even better you're not going to piss off anyone preparing your food because they have to jump through all kinds of various hoops in order to make or unmake your sandwich spicy. You special snowflake you. 

Spice must flow....................Just not from our arses.

No comments: