Friday, February 6, 2009

Great Balls of Fire in "The" Portland.


                                             Mmmmmmmmm!!!! Fiery Balls of  Greatness!


On whatever night it's on the television I was watching one of my fav new programs, Man vs. Food, a true tribute to that least terrible of deadly sins, gluttony, in it's purest uncut form.  Said show follows one man on his foodie hobbit quest to tackle that utterly iconic swatch of innocent babe Americana, the giant food item served up in a quirky hole in the wall eatery the likes of which your town has never seen. You always wish your town had something like that. You know the place, the place where by ordering you enter into a pact, a pact to finish some form of gigantic, sickeningly bloated over sized food item all the while being cheered on by the rabble (Yes this counts against your 15 minutes). Yeah that's the show.

The show took place in the humble burg of Portland or as locals call it "The" Portland. The center of my interest and laser like focus was a place by the name of Salvador Molly's (Get it? So quirky).  The menu item which captured my attention is called Great Balls of Fire. A ball of great fire consists of a cheese and habenero fritter served with a side of habenero salsa. If you can finish five in five minutes you get your picture on the wall. Sweet! 

Science fact according to the show: A Habenero is 40x hotter than your run of the mill Jalapeno.  So smoke that in your pipe and put it. 


                                                       I totally ate 6 of them. They were 
                                                       so hot Steph briefly looked like a pervy 
                                                       45 year old man to me due to capillaries
                                                       bursting in my eyes. Cringe. 
                                                       (Editors note: I've never been outside the 
                                                          Portland airport)
                                        




The Spice must flow....................Just not from our arses.

7 comments:

Courtney Conundrum said...

I'm moving to Portland...in 3 more days i get the key to the new place and i found out i'm going to be 15 minutes from Salvador Molly's. I watched that same episode of man vs food just last night. VooDoo Doughnuts is the most addicting place on earth...EARTH!
I honestly do not think i would be able to handle the great balls of fire...i'm a big wussy.

Spice Odyssey said...

Nice! Please drop the aforementioned items in the mail and send them to us straight away! A squishy ball of fire is still a ball of fire.

Courtney Conundrum said...

I asked my roomate if he'd go there with me and eat them so i could take pictures of him eating them and post it and he said "no"
:( He told me he didn't want to get addicted to spicy foods again and have to blow up our bathroom...i guess that was his way of being considerate.
I don't know if they'd travel well...it could end up like on that episode of Phych i just watched.

Spice Odyssey said...

Nice! Maybe after you and your roommate have lived togeter for awhile we will worry less and less about the publicity of his bathroom comings and goings (re: high comfort level) and then he'll jump all over the chance to eat fried habaneros and cheese. When he does let me know because then I will know it is time to make the journey to Portland.

Courtney Conundrum said...

Just last night, after we got the key to the new place, we were driving around exploring the area and found a spicy hotwings joint called "Fire on the Mountain"...i must go!!

Portland is a foodie paradise...you need no other excuse to come but to eat lots of amazing food...hot, hot food.
We ended up going to this restaurant on N Mississippi that has a habanero infused cocktail. For some reason the name of the place escapes me right now...i had 3 drinks last night and got quite toasted.

Spice Odyssey said...

This is solid reporting on your behalf. I love hot wings. No, seriously I HEART them! Also, I appreciate that you get drunk off 3 drinks. I'm up to 4 myself.

Courtney Conundrum said...

the habanero-tequila drink was at the Equinox! I remembered the next day after i went through a list of 'E' words in my head.
Thanks ;P i'm a light-weight fo sho'