Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Old School Spice - Bowler hat and waxed moustache style.



As I sat and consumed a most awesome and ridiculous spectacle of refined pink carnivorousness, AKA a perfect slab of prime rib, I used generous amounts of a most traditional and spicy condiment that sadly these days has been relegated to Victorian era dress up affairs. I'll even be the first to admit it's missing from my usual repertoire and perhaps even more ashamedly I'll admit it's completely missing from my spice laden stockpiles altogether. The back alley bare knuckle brawler I'm referring to is of course horseradish. Yes, regular ass horseradish. The simple concoction of shredded horseradish root, vinegar and sometimes cream is genius in it's simplicity and let me be the first to tell you that if you decide to treat this English condiment as though it were some impish 19th century blue blooded fop to be shoved aside, be warned that you've made a huge mistake and wandered into the grimy, coal stained underbelly of Dickensian London and you're about to get a mouthful of Cockney upside your gob! Horseradish gets spicy and it does it in it's own way. A jalapeno gives a very front of the mouth burning sensation (of course for me it doesn't! I laugh at Jalapenos.). Horseradish on the other hand doesn't do it's damage up front, rather it seems to enjoy fucking up the old wind pipe. Don't believe me? Take a a taste of horseradish and then just breathe in the fumes and you'll see what I'm talking about. It will feel like your lungs have just went on strike. With that being said. I'm getting back to horseradish.




The Spice must flow....................Just not from our arses.

No comments: